The Boring Details

As requested, I am giving you the boring details of the how’s and why’s of my weight loss. Some of this is the email I sent a fellow blogger today, and I added some details/pictures for fun torture.
In 2008 I turned 30. I had had our sixth child the same year, and I decided I was going to stop hating myself. So, on my birthday I woke up with a new attitude. A friend took me shopping, and I embraced myself as I was- 218 pounds and a 1x. I bought pretty clothes and accepted me for me.
That lasted a week.
I realized in that week that I was not only good enough to accept me as me, but that I was not letting myself be the true me at that size. I was too good to live that way.
I made a plan and in December I started working out 5-6 days a week. I used Turbo Jam and The Firm videos at home, and I would drive a mile down the road to a friend’s house to do them with her. Wii Fit told me I was obese.
I did not change my eating drastically until March. I started out by only drinking water, then I bought the book from the biggest loser trainer Bob. “Are You Ready” I think is what it is called. I made bigger changes (types of food, and ways I prepared food) based on his recommendations. In May I bought Chalean Extreme, made by the lady who does Turbo Jam,(both can be found at beachbody.com) and the weight started flying off. I was eating 5 small meals a day, using Chalene’s meal guide, 1400 calories a day, and no eating after 7:00. I was about 170 at that time and I made it down to 143. My bone structure says I should be between 137 and 155. My goal was 160 and size 12. I made it to 143 and a size 6. I have never been a 6 in my life! Wii Fit says I am healthy. :)
As of today I hover around 149 and 150. I liked 143 better. I have been slacking in all areas. I’ll eat some ice cream, feel tired and skip a workout. I have missed several days now (vacation and chaos after vacation). I haven’t ever fallen off the wagon, but a week off feels like failure to me.

I workout around 7 in the evening. If I am missing a few workouts I am not as eager to get back in, but I make myself and I am always glad I did. When I am on track, I am always excited for the next workout. It is a lifestyle change, a habit that you need to give a month to really give it a chance to make the change.
fat1 January 2009ish
fat2 February or March 2009
DSC00943 (Then Leah killed my laptop and I lost all of my photos…)November 2009
DSC01460 December 2009
DSC_0005 February 2010
DSC_5653 August 2010 Still in a 6, but wanting to lose the few pounds I have gained while maintaining.
It has been really hard for me, as I have a tendency to base my value on the scale, or how I perceive myself to look, and I am not kind. I need to just stay the course, and love myself. For me, it is easier said than done. When I am finished with dinner, I am jumping back on schedule (vacations have a way of throwing you off course)  because it works and “Nothing tastes better than skinny feels.”
And to those who think you don’t have the time: I lost 78 pounds, while doing housework, running a home, homeschooling, teaching children at church and being involved in a ladies’ ministry to help shut-ins.
If anyone reading this needs a support person/sounding board I am more than willing. If you need more info, feel free to comment or email.
Don’t feel guilty about taking time for you, it will make you a better wife and mom. :)

Comments

1. Krissi says

I’ve just visited your blog for the very first time…learned of it through the planner addicts group on facebook. I love that you’re open in sharing your fitness journey. I would love to learn more of your ‘normal’ routine and how you fit it all in with 6 kids. I only have 2 and feel stretched!!! Thanks.

2. Jennifer K. says

Thanks for sharing your story…it was such an encouragement to me! I
    came across your website through a link on Pinterest on homeschooling (I am a new homeschooling mom to our 8 year old daughter) and clicked on your fitness link :) Signed up to get your email posts. Thanks again for sharing your journey!

I am reading your story with great interest. Way to motivate others while you go through this. I have chronic pain issues, do you feel Chalean Extreme would offer flexibility to adapt?

I’ve read this before, but just wanted you to know that your story of your journey is very inspiring to me. I started in Jan of this year, at 215 pounds. I’m currently stuck at 165 and am aiming for 135, an 80 pound loss. Although, I tell people I reserve the right to change my ultimate goal if I feel I need to. Thanks for sharing your story.

What a great weight-loss story!!! You look great!! From October 2010 ’til October 2011, I lost about 85 lbs. My starting weight was 260 lbs. Since October, I’ve gained about 20 lbs back. I just started back with exercising (my goal was to run a 5k this year – still hoping to do that) & being more disciplined with my eating. I need to get back down to where I was – I worked way too hard to allow myself to go back up to where I started! Then I need to get on track & make a final push for my goal weight (~145 lbs). Reading stories like yours inspires me – it gives me hope that I can do it! Thanks for sharing!!

I got below my goal weight, and am now too close to that. I have been digging in and doing what I did before. Even a few pounds creeps me out. Like you, I worked too hard! Maintenance is just as hard as losing!
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..Changes Of The 7 VarietyMy Profile

6. Rebecca says

Sam, I am so incredibly proud of you!!!  I am proud to call you friend!  What a huge achievement!!!  Love you so much!

7. Courtney says

Okay, so I needed these exact words right this minute. I am doing all those things you listed in the last paragraph and you took all my excuses away. I weight 197 this morning – I feel so uncomfortable in my skin. Its not that I have to be a size 6 (but I would not complain!) but I dont feel good enough to be everything I need to be for me, my husband or my kids. Thank you for sharing this journey..the pictures (ugh, I am gonna need to do that arent I?) and giving me a good kick in the pants this morning.

thats amazing im starting my life style change TODAY turbo jam and chalene extreme combined hope to get this ugly weight off and be a healthier happier mommy!! your a inspiration!! thank you for sharing your story

you are incredible samantha! your resolve is SO admirable! congratulations on achieving and maintaining a healthier you!! :)

I'm in the midst of trying to up my fitness level… it's NOT easy! I know… slow but sure, I'll make progress if I keep at it! thanks for the encouragement!

amy in peru

10. Anonymous says

Thanks for sharing! My first three also came so close together that I never lost the baby weight before getting pregnant again. Add to that the fact that I gain A LOT of weight when I'm pregnant (50+ pounds each time) and I was very over weight after the birth of our third. About a size 16 which is too big for my frame.

My husband bought me a treadmill that Christmas and it changed everything for me, suddenly I could work out consistently six days a week with no excuses! I had tried to work out before but with three young children I had a hard time leaving the house to go to the gym or classes and even just taking a walk with the jogging stroller was often out of the question because of sick kids, too hot, too cold, etc, etc.

Within about six months or so I was down to a size eight, actually just under what I was when I got married! I feel so much better and even though I gained quite a bit when pregnant with number 4 I was able to use the treadmill the entire nine months (even delivery day :o) so losing the baby weight was nearly as big a deal.

PS I've gained about 10 pounds since Thankgiving and the holidays so your post is a great reminder to not let myself go…get back on that treadmill!

12. Anonymous says

13. amy in peru says

amy in peru

This is amazing! I lost over 50 pounds before I got pregnant. I have put back on 20 right at this moment, but I am making a huge effort to regain my sense of self! I am so glad you wrote this! Way to go, Sam!!!!

Very inspirational!! Thanks for letting me know this was here. I have decided I need to lose the weight for myself so I can be the me I should be :) I do use the excuse of not having enough time alot because it takes as much effort to make time to exercise as it does to exercise itself. I am trying to squeeze in little things like even parking at the end of the row at the store. Thanks for the encouragement. Guess I should take some before pics. UGH.

Woohoo! I hadn't looked at "The Boring Details" when I followed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! That is awesome! Way to go! It sounds like you have chosen a healthy way to lose weight and maintain it. Look at your expression in the second picture and then the third. I think that says a lot. Try not to beat yourself up about gaining a couple of pounds back. I have a tendency to do that too.

17. Morgane says

WOOOWW, amazing results!! Great Job!! I just bought Turbo Fire, and did the Fire 30 class this morning, it was hard! But I am going to try to keep going!!
    And 6 kids!! An other Wooow!! I don't have kids yet!!
    Good luck on following the other part of your journey!

18. Anonymous says

Congrats to you!! I am sitting here this morning looking for some motivation while also craving some chocolate. I have done the diet thing so many times and know it has to be a life change, but haven't got the mindset yet again. UHGHH. So discouraged right now, because I know I should get up and do my workout but want to just eat chocolate and almonds. Need someone to help to push me. Anyone out there?

19. michelle peckham says

How wonderful and I am stealing your quote for my facebook "Nothing tastes better than skinny feels.”
    I have struggled with my weight all of my life. Up and down with each of my three kids, I am not skinny now but I am now working out and not just dieting. It was great to hear your story because I have been doing P90X but missed some workouts myself, I feel the same way as you ( just ready to get back on track)Thanks

Hey, Samantha,

I like your mindset. I think that is what will help you keep it off. I've lost a lot of weight a number of times. About 10 years ago I lost 120 pounds, was in great shape, and even became a 10 times a week gym-junkie for a while. But I didn't adjust my thinking well enough to keep it off when injuries, work, moves, and life got in the way. Now I'm over 300 pounds again and 10 years older.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and mind-check. I've been making a lot of other positive changes in my life lately. Maybe I'm ready for the BIG challenge again. Hopefully, a little wiser this time.

Mike

Hello, I'm very grateful too that I ran across this post. I am leaving for Ireland tomorrow and when I return I have plans to hire a trainer and get me back on track.

I did WW 2 years ago and lost 25 lbs. down to 150. I am now back up to 185. The most I've ever weighed. I went through the stage of trying to think I was ok with it. But I'm uncomfortable. So I am determined to get the weight off again for good, and maintain.

I will be in touch when I return. I can use the encouragment and I have plenty to give as well!

Blessings to you and stay the course!

How inspiring!!! I want to lose 15-20 pounds, and I woke up this morning realizing I had to just set the goal to DO IT — 5-6 workouts a week, no ifs ands or buts. Then I see your post. Not an accident!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and your photos! I can't wait for my first workout!

I am at ahhhhhhhhhh right now.Those pictures are remarkable.I just turned 30 and I have been watching the portion sizes.I need to loose some pounds,at least 30.I gained sooo much during my pregnancy that was 10 yr ago,honestly I need lipo,BC I can't loose the hang(tmi)sorry.I am going to check out the turbo jam.

This is so inspiring to me!!! I am about 5'6" and about 220 pounds. I reached disgusted with myself in May of last year. I joined Weight Watchers online, then stared to lose weight. I lost 12 pounds and then left for a month vacation trip in June. Now, we have been back for a couple of months, started school, and back to all the same "survival" habits. I haven't gotten on the scale, but I am sure the 12 is back on and then maybe some more. You inspire me that I could actually do this! CONGRATULATIONS to you!!!!! I like that you just added one thing at a time, and that you started with exercise. I have never done that, but it makes A LOT of sense! Hopefully I can get myself going. It seems so out of reach and impossible! I need to start…..

Funny I should come across your post tonight. I decided tonight I'm going to start running M-F at 6am for 30 min. I can run about 3 miles in that time. I'm right around 166 and want to be around 125. I am 11 months post baby #5. I just can't fit it into my schedule anywhere else. I have a feeling until my baby is completely weaned off this medication she is on that makes her not sleep, that I'll often skip my workouts because of lack of sleep, but you gotta start somewhere! When did you work out? I have Turbo Jam but it hurts my knees. I'll have to look up that other workout video. I have also changed my diet. No eating after dinner, water to drink only, no sweets, small meals. I've done WWatchers, so I tend to stick to the point system. Anyhoo, thanks for the encouragement! You look geat!

You are awesome for sticking with this throughout your busy schedule! You are an inspiration and you look wonderful! Congratulations to you!
    Blessings,
    Jill

27. Jessica says

Thank you so much for sharing! That is encouraging! I lost 40 lbs once, but that was when I was engaged and before having children. I'm 9 lbs into my goal to lose 30 now. It seems like a distant goal but I know I can make it if I don't give up.

The regular work outs are where it's hardest for me to commit but I know that's important for losing body fat and not just pounds.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wow! I commend you! So many people reach a point of no return with their weight gain- defeating themselves mentally and never getting the weight off. I'm so glad you got it off and are keeping it off- I know you feel better and you look great!

Celee