Give Not Receive

I see all of my friends going to conferences, getting to meet IRL, and it has made me sad. Why not me? And then this morning, I got my answer.

DSC_0002

I’m here to serve.

Right now, in this place in life, I am here to serve my husband and children. I am here to serve other children by teaching Bible class. To answer the phone to help a member who needs to reach out to someone they can trust with their problems.

DSC_0003

To serve families who are grieving.

DSC_0012

When God wants me to have time away, I trust it will come. To be honest, as much as I want to meet my friends, I have no desire to leave home.

I’m right where God wants me.

DSC_0013

If I never get that opportunity to go to a conference, or a convention and hug my pals, I’ll know it was all in His plan.

“…through love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13 b

Comments

It’s hard to see others go. I’m glad I went last year, but it will be a long time before I go again. being away from my family is not something I want to do very often.

I’d love to meet you someday! We might take a road trip out that way some time. I want to see that part of the country. Is the creation museum in Kentucky?

2. Teri says

Thank you for sharing this, Sam! I have come to this realization recently myself as well. It is very reassuring to read your post as well as the comments here.

Not to confuse things, but Bloggy Con is in Cincinnati in September. Wanna go with me? I bet we could get sponsors.

Either way, you and I will meet. In 2012. If I have to drive across the state.

Thanks for this post. I often get sad when I see things that others are doing. Friends having a girls night or even homeschooling groups. Living in a foreign country has its perks but definitely has its downsides, too. Loneliness and solitude has been tough for me. But I am encouraged knowing that this is only a season and this season is when I need to serve my husband and children. I know being here has made my relationship with God and with my husband stronger.
    Emily @CreativeDisaster latest thoughts..A Small ThingMy Profile

Oh yes dear friend………needed this today. Tickets on sale tonight for Allume and I am questioning????? I have been green and sad for not being able to go to all these conferences that others are going to and wondering how they do it….all they do……not understanding how they can do it all and afford it all. I even missed a planning meeting for a new conference and I was asked to go but we just couldn’t pay for the travel and my fibro body couldn’t do it. I was heartbroken but you have helped me get it. Did you just wake up with this feeling or have you always had it or what made the change in your heart? Thank you for this post!

I have felt something since buying my Relevant ticket last year. After I had it, it just didn’t feel right, no matter how I tried to pass off the feelings. When I sold my ticket, I was relieved. I figured I’d “go to the next one”. I was feeling blue about Blissdom, and the twitter feeds and photos, when this hit me. I was baking for a funeral meal, and I thought-what if I had just come back from a conference, would I even have the energy to make the calls, plan a meal, cook food? Not saying God told me…just that I can see where I am more needed. Praying for you, my friend.
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..Give Not ReceiveMy Profile

Great post Sam! I was able to go to the Sally Clarkson conference 2 weeks ago because it was here in the area and I could drive home at night. I totally get what you are saying!!
    Louanne latest thoughts..GrossologyMy Profile

When I read this post, it touched my heart and encouraged me! This is so true…that there are those seasons of life where we are to stay home and serve. THAT is our ministry, and that’s perfectly fine! You are following what the Lord would have you do. Afterall, isn’t being at home with our children and serving (with a servant heart) our husbands and children what the Lord calls us to do.

You have encouraged me, because prior to our dear son passing away (it’s been a year and a half), I was extremely involved on our military base, and had my own women’s ministry, plus served with PWOC through the Air Force Base Chapel. Two moves later and a year and a half into this grief journey, I often wonder what my ministry is supposed to be. This post reminded me that my most important ministry is serving my husband and other son, and those who are bereaved. Sometimes that is ALL we can do after surviving such trauma. And this is but a season…here for a moment and gone like a vapor. Therefore, I should enjoy it! :)

God Bless you! Sending big hugs from Texas!
    Shannon latest thoughts..Who Are You Trying to Impress?My Profile

Thank you, Shannon. I completely understand, and sometimes in our lives just surviving is all we can manage. After we come out on the other side, we then have something to share with others, and that is a way we can serve others. Praying for you.
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..Give Not ReceiveMy Profile

8. Mary says

I didn’t mean to come off quite so negative. I can see where if a conference was very close or just VERY applicable to our homeschool I would go. Everyone has a different situation in their life and I don’t want to judge anyone else.

If there was a conference in Hawaii and I was 100% sponsored I just might go! ;-)

Sam ~ I think there is something different for everyone. I am with you… I’m taking all of that energy, time, and $ it would take to go conference hopping and pouring it into travel and activities with my family. I can go to conferences when my children are gone….

Well, I don’t have the $ anyway, but if I did, could I really justify taking it from my family? My answer is no. And you are right. The kids will be gone one day. Nevermind-I’ll cuddle with my hubby more then!
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..Give Not ReceiveMy Profile

10. Becky Honey says

Thank you for serving and sharing! We made the homemade cupcakes with your wonderful icing the girls gave it a two tumbs up and told me that’s a keeper mom. So yes you do make a difference in others lives. I enjoy reading each post. Have a blessed day!
    Becky
    PS back before Christmas you were talking about a ball with number tiles that added up to the small circle pegs what was the name of that? I tried to go back and look for it but can’t find it. Thanks!