The Good Man

We were driving home from a funeral the other day when we passed by an ad that made my blood boil.

It was a picture of some diamond rings, placed strategically in the ad so that the rings made the o in “Good Boy”.

“Good Boy” is something we say to our dog.

A husband is not a dog.

DSC_0274-2

We don’t watch much television, but one running theme I keep seeing in previews for shows implicates most leading men as lazy, uneducated, or they “only want one thing”.

Really?

Those men aren’t reflections of men I know, and they look nothing like my husband!

DSC_0027

The thing I love the most about my husband is that he loves God. He cares about others.

Especially their souls.

DSC_0023-1

Let’s respect the men in our lives more than what we see in society.

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 11:3

To the makers of the“Good Boy” ad I say this- you can have the boy {and that gaudy ring}. I’ll keep my husband, a real man, who is a man after God’s own heart.

Comments

This is one thing that ABSOLUTELY DRIVES ME NUTS! I cannot stand how the media and most women present men, especially their husbands. That is always one piece of advice I give to those getting married…that they always love and respect their husbands, particularly to the outside world, never speaking negatively of them to others.

PS I love that they were cabelas waders!

AMEN SISTER! I wrote a post yesterday about serving our husbands, and one of the things I said was that they need our submission more than our love. A few friends of mine were not too happy about what I said, it’s opened my eyes to see that more than just the world thinks that respect isn’t important!
    Lauren latest thoughts..Simple Ways to Serve – Serving Your HusbandMy Profile

Yes! This has been a topic of conversation around here this week! I went to see The Vow with some girlfriends this weekend and was so impressed that they chose to show marriage as something other than a burden and a husband as something other than a lazy buffoon. It’s sad that that’s become the norm in our society.

Learning more about how I treat my husband, both in his presence and not, has been the topic this month. Between the marriage retreat I went to last week, books, and blog posts, I’ve been realizing how I fall short as a wife. I look forward to changing that, though, with God’s help. All that just to say that I loved your post.
    Ralene latest thoughts..Where I am Today…My Profile

5. Bettie41 says

Many of my friends tell me that I am lucky enough with my husband because he is a good man which shows the qualities that really longing of all the woman.

I totally agree! The less TV we watch the more we roll our eyes at the unbelievable way that men are portrayed. Ugh. I love that my hubs and I try to show our love for each other every day – not just on a *special* day – and I think that it’s a great example for our kids to see!

Excellent point. We were ata home bible study last night and my beloved was talking with the preacher about his job and his boss not understanding his work ethic. The preacher made a joke about him, my beloved, and trying to wink wink, head nod, plase the “real boss” while his head was nodding at me. I replied, “you don’t know our hosehold very well if you think that I’m the boss.” I know he was trying to be funny, but it really irked me. I work really hard at honoring my husband, his comments weren’t truly a reflection of our family i so much as they were a reflection of the societal perception in which we live. I dearly love my belovee and try reall hard to submit to his leading, just as God intended and because I know he has my best interest before his own. Sorry for the little side rant. Your post just reminded me of that conversation.
    Keejp reminding us of what the truth speaks!
    Renee Brown latest thoughts..LOVEMy Profile

Yes. Yes! YES! This is amazing, Sam :) I wholeheartedly agree! The bottom line is, we have what we say – and I refuse to speak like the world does regarding our men and boys….the FUTURE leaders of all things. And like you, I for one, am grateful to have a husband that loves God with everything in him. Let’s keep speaking and calling these men to live and grow into Christ has them to be :) (FYI – my post today deals with this…how funny) BLESS YOU!!
    Carlie @ So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler? latest thoughts..Who Do You Say I Am?My Profile

I’ll take my man over their boy any day! My hubby didn’t buy me anything for Valentine’s Day, but this week he helped with dishes and/or laundry EVERY night. He loved the dinner I made for our family last night so we could stay at home and enjoy each other instead of the crowds out and about. I will take that any day over a diamond. :)

Very true. I was noticing on facebook yesterday, that every time someone shared how their husband got them flowers people responded with, “what a good man”. Or women who said that their husbands get their daughter flowers to show their daughters how a man should treat a woman. Here is a thought, what makes buying someone something a good man??? Shouldn’t it be a good man treats his wife and daughters with respect every day? A good man listens to his wife and children when they talk to him. A good man takes time out of his busy day to spend time with his family. A good man is patient and kind. A good man loves every day, not just on Valentine’s day.

Exactly! And perhaps if the women stopped trashing their husbands to all who will listen…their husband would be more of those things they wanted in the first place. I can’t imagine doing that. I know I have a wonderful husband, but even on a bad day I wouldn’t call up my friends and talk about it. Definitely not for FB! Thanks for your thoughts, friend!
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..The Good ManMy Profile

A lving friend once told me that to talk about our husbands in a negative way, especially outside of their hearing does not bring honor to him. Proverbs 31 tells us that of a virtuous wife her husband can trust in her, and she bring honor to his name at the city gate. We vowed to love, HONOR adn cherish our beloveds.
        Renee Brown latest thoughts..LOVEMy Profile