Unexpected

In Eastern KY on Thursday, the sun was out, it looked like this:

DSC_0001

Unseasonably warm, at 70 degrees. It was just gorgeous.

On Friday:

The sky changed, the warnings came in.

DSC_0020

Not far from me, whole towns were destroyed, lives were lost. Tornadoes in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky.

We went to the basement for the first time in the almost 8 years of living here. We heard the sirens go off in town, and checked the weather online. We grabbed the kids and headed down.

I never even thought to prepare for this, as I didn’t even think this sort of things was possible.

But it is.

It is completely unimaginable.

tornado

Today we awoke to a few inches of snow.

Snow?

It has already melted. Tomorrow’s forecast?

60 degrees.

We’re going to have to get more serious about storm warnings. Being unprepared is never a good thing.

We are working with the Churches of Christ Disaster Relief Effort out of Nashville. We have no idea what all will be needed in the coming days, weeks and months. Please keep these families in prayer.

Comments

Wow.
    That is WAY too close for comfort.

We had a tornado touch down here in MY TOWN in Maine several years ago… praise God it was only for ONE SECOND and only minimal property was damaged, and no one was hurt.

but… MAINE?
    I am always leery of storms now!
    Meredith latest thoughts..The Faith of ObedienceMy Profile

Sam,

I am so thankful to hear that you and your family are o.k. My heart goes out to all the families who lost their homes and loved ones. So very tragic and sad. This weather is indeed crazy. Sending prayers out to these families and to continue to keep your family safe.

Blessings,
    Jill
    Jill latest thoughts..Coat closet organization and my handy husband :-)My Profile

Until April 27th last year when our home and our town was hit by an F2 tornado we never took them real serious either. I grew up in AL and we still live in North Alabama where we have tornadoes every year so it is nothing new to us but they had never impacted me directly until last year. Now we have a plan everytime they predict severe weather, we have an emergency bag and the kids know what to do should we get separated for some reason after a tornado. We’ve been praying for all those affected by these horrible storms and are so thankful your family as safe.
    Gretta latest thoughts..Tornadoes, Birthdays & a Day of RestMy Profile

Thank you, Gretta. We are working on being better prepared for the future. Our 14 year old told us how sorry our “action plan” was. Maybe I should put him in charge.
      Sam Kelley latest thoughts..UnexpectedMy Profile

I have been hearing a lot from my KY friends about the crazy weather. I’m down in SW Tennessee where we usually get the crazy tornado-like weather, so I’m pretty prepared. I count my blessings when we stay out of harms way, but pray for those who were less fortunate. Glad you all were okay and that you are so willing to help those who are in need.

Laura
    Kinder Kraziness
    Laura latest thoughts..Little of This, Little of ThatMy Profile

I grew up in KS, home of the tornadoes. Still, it always goes straight to my heart when I see the amount of devastation that these storms can do. It’s always better to be prepared.
    Ralene latest thoughts..Fascination FridayMy Profile