A New Journey

I am a creature of habit. I don’t like change.

Today had a lot of change, I got a job.

A member of our church family needed me to help, and we needed the income; this has been a tough year for both families I suppose.

As a result, our whole schedule is changing.

Rick is up way before the crack of dawn, and I am up well before I ever am.

Why?

Well, my study time with the Lord would suffer if I didn’t, and I will continue to homeschool.

This will be a challenge to get used to, but it is worth it in so many ways. This is what I would be doing if I lived near my own grandmother, and I am blessed to be able to help.

Perhaps in sharing our new journey, I can encourage someone else who is considering homeschooling, but has outside commitments.

DSC_0157-2

Or just maybe, this will force me to better prioritize; say no more.

Whatever the purpose, I intend to do the best I can with what the Lord has given me to do, and share with you along the way.

Have you ever had to switch directions? How was your transition?

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

I’m very encouraged, we have been discussing me going back to work, possibly full time, but my concern is:
    A. Does anyone commenting here have their spouse also working full time?
    B. Do they work the same hours as you?
    C. If so, how do you manage that.

I love my family and our family time is VERY important to us! We can’t do the separate shifts (we tried this when my oldest was a baby)!!!!

We are pretty stressed at the moment, so any advice is well welcomed!!!
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

P.S. I didn’t know you were working sister of mine, til I was scrolling down your blogs and found this one!!! Love you! <3

• Elizabeth says

We are praying, God’s will, that Pat gets transferred soon, closer to home (best with his health conditions), saving money on gas, a better manager (morally), and quite possibly more money. So as I said God willing we won’t have to worry about it, but it’s still always in the back of my mind. Love you!

until 2 years ago, I worked full-time as an RN while homeschooling, and my husband was traveling almost every week, Mon-Fri.

it can be done.

when God calls, he equips.

This is something I will be doing also once I am finally moved. Mainly so we can pay off all our debts and get into a better situation financially. I will also be continuing to homeschool. Most people don’t understand that no matter what I will not be putting my children into school because I am not comfortable with the public school system. I know it will definitely make me improve my organization and schedules along with prioritizing the most important things. You are in my prayers. :)
    Dianna @ Aspiring to be latest thoughts..5 Minute Friday {Story}My Profile

4. Robin says

Thank you so much for your post! I just happened upon it today and I know that I was led to read it. I am planning to start homeschooling this year for the first time. I am also a college student. I have spent a lot of time struggling with the idea of doing both. Will it be fair to my kids, will it be fair to my school work? None of my homeschooling friends work or go to school so I was really worried about whether or not I should do both. My school schedule is luckily one that I know I can work around and my husband only works on the weekend nights so he’ll be home when I’m in class 2 days a week. In my mind I have been able justify all of it and how it would work but still struggled with it. Reading your post really did encourage me…Thank you!

So stinkin’ proud of you I can hardly stand it! ; )
    Hugs to you, friend, and will be praying for you as you find your footing…
    Nikki latest thoughts..All I SeekMy Profile

Praying for you as you move into this new journey and I look forward to reading about it!! May God bless you and your family through this time of change!
    Blessings,
    Emily

Sam you are capable and motivated – this is all it takes. God does not give us more than we can handle. I do all the office work for our farm (acts payable/receivable, payroll, accounting, filing, inventory, production records, etc) and it evens out to the amount of time a person gives to a full-time job. The most important tool for me in balancing homeschool along with running the household and being in business is delegating jobs to the children…even if they don’t do it perfectly or ‘my way.’ A swept floor is a blessing to our family even if the corners are missed, laundry folded imperfectly still gives us more time for the most important priorities of our lives. A messy basement is less important than the day’s lessons – even though I have to work hard to let it go. And remember what a good example you are giving your children in helping others. Best wishes!
    Jessica latest thoughts..It’s barbecue time!My Profile

I too have had a bit of a transition when I was offered a behind the scenes position at my girls gymnastics gym. It is nothing glamourous or anything but right now it helps take the financial load off just a bit and for that I am grateful. I had a hard time adjusting at first but I had to step back and say to myself what is really important during our day? I had to to learn to give myself a break and not sweat the small stuff! It has forced me to not be such a procrastinator and to plan my days better. Good luck on your new journey!
    Jacquelin @ A Stable Beginning latest thoughts..Homeschool Spanish Academy ~ a TOS reviewMy Profile

One of my nearest and dearest friends returned to work a few years ago. She works second shift while her husband works first. Through it all, they have continued to homeschool. It has been hard, I won’t lie, BUT I have seen her walk this path with God’s grace and grow in such beautiful ways. She is an inspiration to me and others. I have also witnessed God use her job in many, MANY ways to bless others, further His kingdom, and show His love to others. Praying for you and your family as you begin this new journey with full confidence that He will pour forth His love and grace to enable you to do all that He has called you to do. {II Corinthians 12:9}
    Dorie latest thoughts..Making the Most of Every OpportunityMy Profile

10. Melissa says

I am so glad to know that I will not be the only one homeschooling while working! I work midnights 2 nights a week at a local hospital and I’m having a hard time figuring out how I will manage both come September. It will be a learning process for sure! Hope it goes well for you! Looking forward to reading about it! :)

11. Judy says

For the first 5 years I homeschooled I worked 2nd shift as a nurse. I worked 32 hours a week (4 days a week–every other weekend off). 2 years later I went down to 24 hours, the next year 16 then the last year was 1 day a week. By this time I had just gotten my youngest daughter who was 6 months old at the time. I felt God call me to leave working totally to stay home (to bond with her). That was 5 years ago. Since then, we have added 2 more babies to the mix (7 kids in total and the last 2 I gave birth to—pregnancy was tougher at my older age).

I know there may be a day that my direction does change again and I go back to work outside the home. My mom now lives with us and I take care of her too.

You are right, it is all about prioritizing because sometimes I think, no I actually know, that I got more work done homeschool wise when I worked then now (it may have something to do with the fact that I didn’t have 2 toddlers running around). I had to prioritize my time because I had to leave for work by a certain time.

Good luck in your new adventure!!! : )